Sunday, September 9, 2007

They're lost without him, like a pack of dogs without a master.

When I walked into the theater, I looked around and realized I was the youngest person in the place. I should've known. After all "3:10 to Yuma" is a remake of a 1957 Western. Westerns are pretty rare in contemporary cinema these days, maybe because studios are afraid modern audiences don't want to shell out $10.50 to see a bunch of guys shooting at each other and riding around on horses. To be honest, I have no idea where that logic comes from. After all, every weekend millions of Americans shell out millions of dollars to see guys shooting at each other and riding around on motorcycles and in fancy cars, airplanes, and speedboats. In my opinion, horses are a hell of a lot cooler than all of that. Give me a horse over a souped-up car any day. There is something to be said for simplistic storytelling in films these days. It feels like a lot of modern movies strive to tell the most intricate, detailed, and emotionally deep stories. It's all about inter-connected personal dramas that show us how we are all part of the brotherhood of man, even though we may not realize it. Groan. Give me a shoot-out and some real red-blooded motives, some stubbornness, some pride, some foolishness, a laugh, a tear. "3:10 to Yuma" is the story of two men at odds with each other and with their lots in life. Dan Evans (played by a brilliant Christian Bale) is a rancher with troubles. He's got a family to feed, a business to run, and creditors breathing down his neck. He's got a bum leg and a chip on his shoulder from being beaten down by everyone from his wife to the man who's trying to steal his land out from under him. In other words, Dan Evans has something to prove. Ben Wade (played by Russell Crowe) is an outlaw with a near supernatural ability to avoid capture. He is charming, confident, arrogant, and he knows how to kill. Put Dan Evans and Ben Wade together and what have we got? Not war. No, not really. Actually, we've got a recipe for friendship. The two men may not understand one another, but in a way they're out to protect each other. It was nice to see some real characters up on the screen for a change--real three-dimensional people. Another memorable character is Charlie Prince (played by the always devilish Ben Foster). Who knew the sweet little kid who played Tucker James on the plucky Disney show "Flash Forward" would grow into such a complete and utter bad-ass (and a pretty damn fantastic actor as well)? I don't know if the fact that I was the youngest person in the theater today means I'm simply wise beyond my years and mature enough to recognize authentic storytelling even when it doesn't come with all the modern CGI-rific bells and whistles, or if I'm just a little odd, but what I do know is this: "3:10 to Yuma" is a movie worth seeing, even if it does cost you $10.50. I only paid $5.50 for my screening. So there. I'm wise beyond my years and a bargain hunter.

No comments: