Sunday, May 4, 2008

School, and other things I'm afraid of.

So tomorrow I go back to college. I've got a bunch of sharpened number two pencils, a Chemistry book that only cost me $120 (what a steal!), and of course a shiny red apple for my teacher. I've gotta be honest though, I'm worried about school shootings. In fact, they just found some threatening graffiti at Oakland University, which is the school I'll be attending. So, I might end up dying soon, which means that I wouldn't be able to post anymore blogs...but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. A few weeks ago, an episode of "Medium" featured people taking a Tylenol-esque drug and promptly dying. So now I'm afraid to take medicine. I've also been watching a lot of that Oxygen Network documentary-style series "Snapped," which features stories about women who killed their husbands A. in a fit of rage B. for insurance money, or C. because "he totally deserved it." So now I'm afraid to get married. All the episodes have narration that goes something like this: "Tandi thought Bill was the perfect man, but it wasn't until after they got married that she learned he had a dark side. Yes, one dark and dank afternoon Tandi wandered into Bill's basement workshop (even though he told her never to go in there!) and found something sinister...oh so very sinister." They don't tell you what the sinister thing she found was until after the commercial break. Even though the show scares me, it also makes me feel good because it makes me realize that no one is who you think they are, and in a way that's kind of comforting because usually I walk around thinking that everyone is a lot more together than I am. I guess if the worst thing I do is hide bags of Tostitos bite-size gold tortilla chips in my closet and eat them while watching back episodes of VH1's Miss Rap Supreme, then that's not so bad. Hey, I'm only human. Anyway, the list of things I'm scared of goes on and on--the shifty guy who stands in front of the hot nut stand at the mall and acts as if he's about to open his flannel shirt-coat and reveal a bomb strapped to his chest, undercooked meat, the fact that if I accidentally let go of my dog's leash he might catch up to the people walking in front of me and eat their Chihuahua, marionettes, and more. Cat Stevens says "Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there." He's probably right, but then again...I'm a little afraid of Cat Stevens.

No comments: