Monday, June 23, 2008

R.I.P. George Carlin

Today is a sad, sad day, because we have lost a beloved comedian and a lovely man--George Carlin. I'm a record enthusiast. I think records have a much purer sound (and are just generally better in many, many ways) than Compact Discs. I'll discuss that in more detail at a later time. Since I began collecting them when I was probably a junior or senior in high school, I've received a great many albums from a lot of my friends' parents who wanted to get rid of them to make more room for Compact Discs (fools!). One of the albums I received (I'm getting to the point now, I promise...) was George Carlin's 1972 recording, "Class Clown." It's one of my favorite comedy recordings ever. My favorite part is when George asks the audience to collectively stick their fingers in their mouths and make that popping sound you can make when you do that. It sounds so cool...plus it's funny. George was drunk with power that night. I know that's not much of a George Carlin anecdote, but it's all I've got. Here's hoping that wherever he is, good ole G.C. is chillin' and havin' a laugh.

No comments: