Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Flesh Prison

Sometimes, when I've been lying around in my room for three or four hours straight, I start to get a little restless. So usually, I'll get up and come over to my computer...you know, for a change of "scenery." Instead of looking at the TV screen, I look at a computer monitor. Instead of clicking the buttons on the remote, I click the keys on the keyboard. And sometimes, like today, it doesn't really work to cure my restlessness.

It just got worse. I opened iTunes and started playing music that makes me feel melancholy. I'm now listening to Anecdote by Ambulance Ltd. This song makes me feel melancholy because it reminds me of when I lived in the dorms at Columbia College Chicago--or, as my friend Kate and I refer to our dwelling back then: "Apartment 215" or simply "215." Those were two of the best years of my life.

Not that my life isn't good now. It is--very good. It's just, on days like today, I get all restless and I start wishing for things that I may or may not ever get. Like, I hate to beat a dead horse (actually, that might be kinda fun!), but I always imagine that I'll have a better body in the future. But I've been doing that since I was like 10 years old, and I still haven't achieved that goal. When I close my eyes and picture my distant future, I sometimes imagine myself sailing on a boat, or standing atop a rocky cliff overlooking the sea, or riding a dolphin, or playing the violin on a darkened stage in an empty auditorium, or driving the PCH in a cherry-red convertible, or leading an archeological dig (and then a man flies in on a helicopter and offers to fully fund my dig for another 3 years if I agree to come see his "theme park")--but no matter where I am, I always have rock hard abs.

Will it ever happen? My dad is worried that it won't. In fact, he thinks I need professional help. I feel like a pregnant teenager in the 1960s.* He wants to send me away. We had a big fight about my "weight issues" this past Thursday. Me wanting a bite of cannoli was the catalyst. If I write it out, blow by blow, it will just make you think my dad's a jerk. He's not. He loves me. But sometimes it feels like the only thing he notices about me is that I'm fat. And he's the living embodiment of all the things I already tell myself in my head: "Fat girls don't get to ride dolphins, Liz."

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on weight-loss just yet. So I think I'll go kayaking right now. If I'm not back in a week, assume I've been shipped off to a fat farm. Don't come looking for me. We are all on our own journey.

*In this movie, Cheryl gets pregnant and is shipped off to a "home for girls." It's a good movie.

5 comments:

Beach! said...

I love my Liz and I miss her!


(pretty sure Ambulance LTD was from the uber mix...you're welcome)

Puck58 said...

I love you too, Chris, and I miss you too!

Every time I hear that Ambulance Ltd song, I think of you. Also, every time I hear Guster.

I still have our Apartment 215 video yearbook. Remember "the hot seat"? Kate is going to put it on DVD and then you can have a copy!

Too bad we never caught Gums on tape. There's still time. Or, did she die?

Kate said...

Every time I hear that Ambulance LTD song I think of you guys, too! AND that Guster "Come Downstairs and Say Hello" song.

Oh, Gypsy Banquet! I miss you guys ridiculous amounts.

On Saturday I went to Hackney's for lunch, and all the Columbia kids were moving out of the dorms, and for a brief moment I was transported back in time. I wonder if our names are still in the closet of 215. Also, that video yearbook was the best idea in the history of mankind. The only thing better than remembering those glory days is knowing that we have VIDEO RECORDS of them. Too good to be true. And I am going to make a DVD of collected clips, and it will literally be the best montage you have ever seen.

Also, Liz Abruzzo- don't let the man get you down. You are hilarious, smart, and goddess-like. And you can pretty much have and do anything you want, but you are not allowed to go to Jurassic Park without me, because that would be a violation of the best friends/soulmate contract. (read the fine print....)

And I have actually spoken with a dolphin and he says that fat girls do indeed get to ride them, and in fact they prefer it. So, there's that.

Emily said...

God, I am so feeling you right now. I am very scared b/c although my dad isn't harsh, doctors tend to be and I have to see one in a week and tell him I want to do something that is gonna make me even fatter and I have a feeling he's gonna freak the eff out on me. So I'm eating gummie bears to help. In conclustion let's go out on Sat. and also if your dad finds you a place I'm going with you. doctor's orders.

Emily said...

Also I love Ambulance LTD xo