Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I'm a nerd for reality TV.

Last night I was watching the Survivor finale. I was watching it a day late, I know. I'm still a big fan of that show, despite declining ratings. But maybe the ratings aren't declining as much as I thought they were. According to Jeff Probst, Survivor: China was CBS' most watched Thursday night show. More viewers than CSI? I find that hard to believe. But it's nice to know people are still watching. I know a lot of people hate reality shows because they "aren't real." And to that I say: They're not supposed to be real. Survivor is an elaborate game show (as are most other reality shows). The reality part comes in when you see how real people react to an extreme emotional and physical situation. The people are real. The show is entertainment. You don't see people getting all offended by Wheel of Fortune, do you? Anyway, I am super excited because during the finale of Survivor, CBS aired promos for the first ever WINTER EDITION of Big Brother! You just made my winter, CBS. I love Big Brother. Talk about the ultimate social experiment. Sure, it's not as classy as Survivor or Amazing Race, but it is juicy and nasty and hilarious and jaw-dropping and amazingly fun to watch. And, it airs three times a week! So set your DVRs, 'cause Christmas came early, folks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay, okay, i never wanted to watch big brother until i watched that clip and felt the deepest satisfaction when they started yelling at that bitchface girl and the guy was like "whatever, nobody likes you, you're not cool." and shut the door. That never happens on reality shows- she got so shot down it was great! usually the bitchfaces, ahem, TRISHA FROM REAL WORLD SYDNEY, keep thinking that they are hot shit and no one ever says anything.

so.....I will watch!