Monday, March 3, 2008

Hysterical is the new calm.

This is my 50th post! I'm so proud of myself for doing 50 of anything. Anyway... I was reading TV Guide today, and it turns out Matt Roush agrees with me about Quarterlife. His review in a nutshell: Quarterlife blows. Don't watch it.

I went to the movies with my parents yesterday. I am so cool, by the way, all out and about with my parents. After the movie we went and walked around Whole Foods, which reminded me a lot of how I used to spend afternoons in the city, walking into random grocery stores, taking just a little more than my fair share from the bowl of sample guacamole. I heart Mexican food. We saw this movie called "Charlie Bartlett." I think I'm in love with the actor who plays Charlie, Anton Yelchin. He's adorable, and hilarious! Anyway, it's a fantastic movie and I highly recommend it. It's uplifting, funny, sweet--plus, any movie that showcases a great old Cat Stevens song and has shades of the delightful wackiness of "Harold and Maude" is a movie I like. Go see it in the theater and support it!

Today I watched "Margot at the Wedding" which is the latest film from Noah Baumbach ("Kicking and Screaming" (the one with Eric Stoltz, not Will Ferrell), "The Squid and the Whale"). I gotta say, I want to be a Noah Baumbach fan, but I just don't get his movies. He must watch a lot of foreign movies. His movies are always so dark and talky and with no real plot to speak of. Call me old fashioned, but I like plot. And what is Noah's fascination with masturbation? People were masturbating all over the place in "The Squid and the Whale" (remember the kid leaving his spooge all over school?) and they were masturbating a lot in "Margot..." too--seemingly for no reason. At the end, there's this part where the kid who plays Nicole Kidman's son says, "I masturbated last night, while you were sleeping, mom. I went into the bathroom and locked the door and I did it," to which she replies, "You don't need to tell me things like that, sweetie!" No shit! What 14 year old kid tells his mom stuff like that? And how does it even serve the movie to include it? At least I'm not the only one who thinks "Margot at the Wedding" is pretentious and dubious.

I love all sorts of movies, but maybe I'm a simple girl at heart. I loved "Definitely, Maybe" starring Ryan Reynolds and Isla Fisher. Could anyone be more adorable than Isla Fisher? I think not.

No comments: