Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I want a god damn ice cream sandwich.

I barely ate anything today. And when I say I barely ate anything, what I mean is that I ate a lot of crap that's good for me, but that I don't really like...like lettuce. Mmm...lettuce.

So, this is pretty disturbing: my mom keeps talking about how she heard on 60 minutes that people who live in Denmark are the happiest people on Earth. It's not because they have low taxes, either. I think she said they give up something like 50% of their income to taxes! BUT education and heath care are free. That's not the disturbing part, though. The disturbing part is that I repeated this little tidbit to a younger friend of mine (still in high school), to which the friend replied: "Is Denmark in the U.S.?" Oh...my.

I tried watching that show Quarterlife tonight. My mom taped it. We only started watching it because our recording of American Idol was starting to catch up to the live show (you know how you record something, then start watching it before it's done recording?). I watched twenty minutes of it before suggesting that we return to Idol. She was annoyed by that. I said: "I'm not impressed." She said: "Well I guess I'm just not as picky as you." And I said: "I just don't want to waste my life watching shows that suck." And it's true, I don't. Quarterlife is unrealistic. I'm actually in that stage of life and I don't identify with the show or its characters at all. It's a bad chick lit novel in motion--the brooding, politically aware, self-loathing writer who works at the teeny-bopper magazine and whose perky blonde boss steals her brilliant ideas...the gorgeous wannabe actress who masks her insecurity with booze and boys...the girl who loves her boyfriend more than he loves her...the guy who pines for his best friend's girlfriend. Ugh. At least The O.C. didn't take itself so seriously.

No comments: