Thursday, February 14, 2008

The distant future, the year 2000.

So last night I taped the Big Brother: After Dark 3 hour block on Showtime (it airs from midnight to 3 am, but California time that's 9 pm to midnight, so it's not like all they're doing is sleeping). Then I woke up at about 4 am and I couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to watch some of it. It's crazy! I have the total inside scoop now. Since the evictions are live, I'm able to see things as they happen in real time versus the juicy bits they edit and put on the show. Like, on last nights CBS televised episode, they evicted Sharon and Jacob. But on the After Dark episode, Sharon was there!! I was like...huh? What's going on here? Then I realized she must've been allowed back into the house for some reason. I think one of the other players decided to leave for personal reasons, so the producers let Sharon come back. Anyway...other than some extra dirt like that, it's mostly just watching people be catty and talk gameplay endlessly and eat dinner and burp and swear and stuff. Another interesting thing, though, is that they'll start talking about stuff like, "well in the paperwork we got...in our reading materials...and oh, they're already casting for BB10...and oh, this is going to be a short season, that's why they're having us be in pairs.." and all this stuff, so it's kind of like getting a peek at what it would actually be like to be on a reality show. Plus I never realized how often the Big Brother guy comes over the loudspeakers and demands that the house guests do things. He'll come on and be like, "Sharon and Parker: please do not obstruct your microphone" or "Ryan: please report to the diary room." It's super fun! But anyway, I guess people who don't watch Big Brother were probably super bored by all that, so I'll move on.

Last night I was going through my old emails. I've had a yahoo account since about junior year of high school, and I still have every email (just about, anyway) I've ever received or sent since 1998! Sometimes it's fun to go back and read them. So, I know you all know how much I adore food, but just to reiterate that again, here are excerpts from an email I sent in September of 2000 (also known as my first semester at WMU):

"Well today is the first day I ever really
went food shopping for myself. When you think about
it, it's like in high school, sure, you go to Miejers
to buy pop or chips or (in my case) frozen coke and
ice cream. Or, you go to get food to make yourself
dinner, but you never really go to shop for yourself
for the week or the month, etc. Maybe you go for your
parents, but then it's their money and afterall you
don't really care what you get since it's their money
you're spending in the first place. So today I went
shopping and I put myself on a budget of $20. I had
to look at prices and take advantage of deals and
stuff like that. And I'm not really sure if I did a
good job or a bad job. For $18.25 I got: one bag of
sour cream and onion tato skins, 4 cans of spaghettios
with meatballs, 4 boxes of lipton's extra noodle soup,
1 extra large white ceramic bowl, 2 packages of thorn
apple valley
sausages, 1 two liter bottle of lipton
brisk raspberry iced tea, and a six pack of halloween
festivity doughnuts. Does it sound like I did a good
job to you??

And, I ate in the cafeteria today. I couldn't decide
between the deli sandwich and the jumbo hotdog. Well,
which one do you think I picked? The hotdog!!
Nope--actually I went with the deli sandwich. That's
because the deli sandwich is easy to smuggle out and
the hotdog is not. I would actually have much rather
had the hotdog. I am going to go down there for
dinner too. I love the frozen yogurt down there!!!"

I had such good eating habits back then.... Anyway, that's all for now. Today is my Dad's birthday, so I have to go buy him a donut.

No comments: