Monday, April 27, 2009

Bea Arthur Is Dead...And So Are My Insides.

She lived a charmed life. In a career spanning seven decades, Beatrice "Bea" Arthur achieved success as the title character, Maude Findlay, on the 1970s sitcom Maude, and as the lovable, the dry-witted, the imposing, the wry Dorothy Zbornak on the 1980s sitcom The Golden Girls.

I was out at a birthday celebration with a big group of friends when I learned of Bea's passing (The actress died peacefully in her Los Angeles home, surrounded by family, at the age of 86. The cause was cancer.). And, even though I was in a crowded bar, all the noise fell away and my world went dark when I read these sad words via a twitter text from my dear friend Kate Bauer (a rabid Golden Girls fan and also my own personal pal and confidante): "Oh no, Bea Arthur died. :( I'm honestly a little upset. R.I.P Bea!"

I cried, "No!" People looked up. I threw my drink on the ground. I took one of my shoes off and threw it at the window. At first, my friends were appalled, but when they found out why I was so upset, they totally got it.

I jest, of course. But I do love Bea Arthur and a little piece of me did die with her. Please enjoy these videos, which feature Bea in all her glory and pay a fitting tribute to her:



That made me cry.

Now for a "Bea" movie that's a little more upbeat:



And...as a bonus, a hilarious parody (starring Bea Arthur, of course) that Kate turned me onto:



We will miss you, Bea.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Bea!!!!! I will miss you.

this was a brilliant tribute to her. that cyndi lauper cover is my new favorite song.

Alana & Carol said...

My mom and I just sat here reading your blog and laughing. I needed a fix and I thought she'd enjoy it too. She totally did and wants to tell you good job and you are very talented!!! We miss Bea too! xoxo