Friday, February 6, 2009

Gypsy

I wanted to write something cool this week. But then nothing cool happened. Usually something cool happens to me at least once a week. So, instead, I'll just tell you guys about all the strange or pseudo-interesting things I thought about or saw this week:

1. This isn't strange. I wish it was strange because then it wouldn't be common, but unfortunately it is (common). I went grocery shopping today, as I do about every other week or so. By the way: I've become the girl who grocery shops in dirty $7 imitation winterized Crocs and sweatpants. Don't you hate when you're shopping and there's a really annoying person standing directly in front of the thing that you want to grab? It's like, how the fuck long can someone look at toilet paper? This woman was just standing there today, with like this tortured expression, like it was Sophie's choice. So I just kind of stood near her, waiting and moving my cart around and picking random things up and then setting them back on the shelf. So anyway, she finally moves and I grab my toilet paper (after I agonized over which brand to buy for about twenty minutes...turns out it IS a tough decision) and then I headed over into the next aisle. And who do I see? Annoying standing-right-in-front-of-the-thing-I-want-lady, again! Don't you hate when you keep seeing the same annoying strangers when you're grocery shopping? It's like, ok, I ran over your toes in Dairy, then two aisles over you made an awkward comment about wanting to "try" olive oil (and I thought you were joking, because what kind of person has never tried olive oil? But it turns out you weren't joking, because you're weird, which I should've known since I've been grocery shopping before and I should know by now that everyone but me at the grocery store is weird), and now here you are again in Meats. Please don't talk to me. Please don't talk to me. Please don't talk to me.

2. I bought the Fleet Foxes album off of iTunes on a friend's recommendation. I listened to it while driving to and from EMT class in Flint. I love it. Fleet Foxes...they're like a slightly more sinister Beach Boys, like if the Beach Boys were singing in an all white room or the middle of the desert. It reminds me of bedrooms with shag carpeting and lone trees in fields and cold stone statues and boys riding bicycles at night and bonfires and stained-glass windows and rock quarries and pick-up trucks and wind on my face and everything else good in the world.

3. I had to drive to Genesys Health Park this week to pick up my ID badge. I'd never been there before. It was pretty cool, more like a giant mall than a hospital. In fact, it was a lot like a mall, because every mall I've ever been to has been filled with people who look half dead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I do hate those people who stand in front of whatever it is I want to grab. (I also hate people who have to agonize over their grocery choices -- I just don't understand them.) But what I hate most of all is when I'm standing in line at the checkout and someone leaves; the first two or three people move up, but the person directly in front of me doesn't move. They just stand there, leaving a gap large enough for another person and a shopping cart between them and the person in front of them. That's when I wish shopping carts came equipped with horns!