Monday, February 23, 2009

"You commie, homo-loving sons of guns!"

Finally, my sedentary lifestyle is beginning to pay off!! Yesterday, I went to the movies with my parents, as is our Sunday afternoon ritual. We saw that raucous new cheerleader comedy (nothing like a cheerleader comedy to warm you up on a blustery February afternoon) Fired Up, starring Eric Christian Olsen and Nicholas D'Agosto (otherwise known as "West" from Season 2 of Heroes).

As we were standing in line to buy our tickets, I noticed a stack of papers that appeared to be fake-o Oscar ballots! Now, I know I'm not a member of the Academy (yet) (btw--"The Academy"--good name for a horror movie starring Judi Dench as the evil head-mistress), but I do so love filling out my very own Oscar ballot and seeing how many I get right! So of course, I snatched one right up. And only then did I realize that my very own Lapeer Cinemas was hosting a contest!! AS IN: fill out this ballot, turn it in before 5 pm Oscar Sunday, and the person who gets the most right wins 8 free movie passes. Seeing as how all I do is lay in bed and watch movies, and when I'm not doing that all I do is go on IMDB to research movies, and when I'm not doing that all I do is drive to Royal Oak so I can see "Rachael Getting Married" because God forbid it come to Lapeer--I know a lot about movies. I thought, I've got this competition LOCKED UP.

But then I looked at the ballot. There were 15 categories, including some rather challenging ones, like Best Foreign Language Film, Achievement in Visual Effects, Achievement in Cinematography, Achievement in Costume Design, etc., etc., along with the biggies (Best Picture, Best Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, Best Director). They didn't show Best Documentary Feature any love. What gives, Lapeer Cinemas? That's one of my favorite categories. So anyway, I filled out my ballot and nervously slipped it into the ballot box. Watching the Oscars last night, I was like a gambling junkie at the race track. I was sweating and pacing and making promises to God. Because, not only were 8 free movie passes on the line--so was my pride. To my utter delight, I got 13 out of the fifteen categories right--including all of the really hard ones! "Hell yes!" I screamed aloud in my room when they announced "Departures" out of Japan as the winner of Best Foreign Language Film. "Hoo-rah!" I screamed when they announced "The Duchess" as winner in the Costume Design category. And because I know you're all wondering which ones I got wrong, I'll indulge you. Best Actor (Wtf, Academy? It was supposed to be Mickey Rourke!) and Best Original Screenplay (I picked "Frozen River"--maybe because I haven't seen "Milk" yet (Damn you Lapeer Cinemas for keeping "Hotel for Dogs" around for 6 consecutive weeks!)). So I got 13 out of 15 correct. Not too shabby, I thought. But would it be enough to win me the tickets? I didn't know.

Then...around 2 pm today I got a call from a Lapeer number that I didn't recognize! My stomach flipped. "Hello?" I said eagerly. "Hello, is this Liz Abruzzo?" a young woman (with complete and utter adoration in her voice) said. "Yes!" I screamed. "This is so-and-so"--I can't be bothered to remember peoples' names--"from Lapeer Cinemas and I'm calling to inform you that you won first prize in our Oscar Predictions Contest. You got 13 out of 15 categories correct." I sat in an amazed, elated silence. "Thank you!" I shouted into the phone. "You can come and pick up your prize of 8 free movie passes any time." After excitedly assuring her that I'd be right there, I hung up the phone and proceeded to race up and down the length of the loft apartment that I share with my parents, squealing and jumping around so much that I scared the cats.

It was like a dream.

8. Free. Movie. Tickets.

...And my pride.


I'd just like to thank all the people that have helped me make this dream come true: my parents for always allowing me to watch whatever I want, even Child's Play when I was six, my sister Gina, for helping me to bring one of my favorite characters ("Mother") to life in one of our own movies, Kate Bauer for sharing with me the love of ALL movies, not just the critically acclaimed ones (This means you, "Dante's Peak"), and all my devoted blog readers, without whom many of my movie-related rants and raves would go unheard. Thank you all! And also: DAAAANG...these free movie passes are heavier than they look!


 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled at your achievement Liz!!! Good for you! Thank you for pointing out the lack of independent, foreign, documentary,or a remotely controversial film from the screens of our local neighborhood cinema. I also saw Rachel Getting Married in a neighborhood which was located 47 neighbors away from Lapeer. Great title (I love Sean Penn) and acceptance speech! Thank you for me not having to use the wrap-it-up music button that I had installed on my keyboard specially designed for wordy blog acceptance speechs;) Also, please make note that I'm so ready to take a car trip with you to see obscure films in a neighborhood far, far away.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Liz Abruzzo! I feel your excitement! I just knew you'd be doing an Oscar blog, so I felt like I'd won something when I logged on just now and found this!

Anonymous said...

i can't believe i haven't commented in so long...but you know, there's a recession. That's my new excuse for everything. Because recession is the new buzzword. Like, sorry I turned right on red when I wasn't supposed to and cut you off, fellow driver, but you know...there's a recession. I think it's a pretty valid excuse.

Anyway, this was a most excellent post as always, and I can't believe you got so many right, including Best Foreign Language Film, because I'm pretty sure everyone thought it would go to 'Waltz with Bashir.' Which I haven't seen, but I read a lot so I know what's up.

And I also can't believe you won 8 FREE MOVIE PASSES! WHAT?! That's insane. And awesome. And I will admit, a large part of me is raging jealous right now. You know, there's a recession.

But I'm mostly sad that I can't enjoy one of those movies passes with you. But then I just start thinking about Dante's Peak and I see a light at the end of the tunnel. It could always be worse, right? I could be forced to jump into a lake full of acid and burn to death, right? But...if the recession keeps going this way, I just might!

I miss you as always, and these posts just keep getting better and better. And now I'm not the only one reading them! You're like super popular. If we weren't in a recession I'd probably be jealous.