Friday, March 13, 2009

Bloody Good Fun

edward cullen Pictures, Images and Photos

I've been reading the Twilight series...you know--with the vampires and the werewolves? You know--about desperate Romeo-and-Juliet-style teen love between the mortal Bella Swan and teen vampire Edward Cullen? And no, I'm not reading the series because I'm a teen girl whose favorite color is hot pink and whose favorite singer is J.T., but because I didn't want to miss out on another Harry-Potter-esque fantasy series craze. You see, I never read the Potter books. And I never read Lord of the Rings or Eragon or any of those. I know it's never too late. I could go back and read them now, but the party's over. There are no more midnight Barnes and Noble Harry Potter extravaganzas with booksellers dressed up as Dumbledorf...and without that, well, what's the point?

So, when my sister told me that she read Twilight and loved it, I thought, what the hey? I actually listened to the first book of the series, Twilight, on my iPod, because I don't have a ton of time to sit and read for pleasure, what with my annoying studies and all. I liked it...and I did fall a little bit in love with Edward Cullen. It's kinda hard not to. The kid is pretty much perfect...except for the fact that he won't give it up, much to Bella's chagrin. Edward swears his physical standoffish-ness is merely an effort to protect her. After all, he's a vampire and hence, very strong. He's more "man" than she can handle...if ya get my drift. But I think Edward's unwillingness to deflower Bella has more to do with author Stephanie Meyer's religious background than anything--she's a graduate of Brigham Young University and a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Also: the Twilight series is for young adults, and peddling sex to minors is kinda taboo.

While I enjoy the characters in the Twilight series (Well...I really just like Edward. Bella can be very annoying--stubborn, selfish, and at times, the ultimate anti-feminist), the writing is a little thin. I find myself skimming to get to the good parts. The plots are predictable, and there's a whole lot less imagination than there could be--especially in a world inhabited by a family of vampires who've been alive for over 100 years and a pack of werewolves who are just learning about their new-found powers.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Leave it to the master of imagination--Stephen King--to speak the truth. Haters may say ole' Stevie is just jealous, but I ain't buyin' it. Stephen King knows what's up, and in an interview with USA Weekend he said what I've been thinking ever since I started reading the Twilight series. Check it out:

Stephen King Rubbishes Twilight Author


Ahem...but...ahem...despite King's declarations, I am going to finish the Twilight series. I just have to know--will Bella and Edward end up together or...um...is he single?

1 comment:

Emily said...

Um, I've never read Twilight or seen the movie (wait, did I say that right?) but I'm taking my sister and cousin to the DVD release party on Friday night in Flint. I have to take photos for work, if you wanna ride along..feel free. I may be the only non tween there...