Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Game Over

Why is it always the good shows that get kicked off the air? Oh yeah, it's because most people in America are ignorant assholes who can think of nothing better to do with their Monday night than sit, unshowered, on their frayed couches in their dank basements watching "Deal or No Deal" while slowly eating through a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken and a bag of Funyuns. I don't have a problem with spending your night watching TV, and I certainly don't have a problem with stuffing your face with greasy meat--it's the "Deal or No Deal" part that gets me.

Scaredy-cat studio executives want to save cash by creating more primetime gameshows and pushing scripted shows to 9 and 10 o'clock (EST). That's why, over the past year, we've seen shows like "The Price is Right: Primetime Special" and "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" cropping up. By the way: most Americans appear not to be smarter than a fifth grader, but they still know a lot of shit from third grade. Most Americans are willing to eat up this new serving of primetime gameshows with a spoon. Or maybe a spork with dog hair stuck to it that they found in their car. But not me!! NO!

Sure, I am a whore for reality TV. But reality TV has more grit--more blood, sweat, and tears--than your average gameshow. Take "Survivor," for example. "Survivor" is technically an elaborate gameshow, but we the viewers get a chance to fall in love with or despise, gradually, all the contestants. And therein lies the hook. We want to tune in every week to see our favorites rise to the top or to see the ones we hate get what's coming to them (in reality speak, this would be said person: getting "thrown under the bus," being "blind-sided," or having to "pack their knives and go").

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with one of my new favorite scripted shows, "Life on Mars" getting edged out in favor of a high-quality reality show, like "Top Chef" or "Amazing Race." But I do have a problem with it getting edged out in favor of a primetime gameshow! What is TV coming to? If I wanted to watch "Million Dollar Password," I'd stay home from work and watch it at three in the afternoon, when it was meant to be watched.

1 comment:

Screaming Mimi said...

I agree. I do however have an undying urge to play Plinko at all hours of the day. I never want to watch anyone actually play it ever. I want to play. I need the cash. So you and me should take a road trip to get on the Price is Right. When we don't get on because we are not loony enough to wear a daffy duck tshirt (pun intended by the way) have a perm and speak in a southern drawl, we will set the studio ablaze. Only then, can Price is Right Primetime be stopped! In fact we can do this to any of the other shows you listed. I may not be a loon but I am bat-shit crazy.